The newly refurbished Met in Bury is attracting the crowds. Mairead Mahon goes along to take a look at what’s been done but if you would like to see for yourself, then Lancashire Magazine has a pair of tickets for one lucky reader and a guest to see a play that everyone is talking about.
Lancashire has been blessed with a fine heritage of historical buildings and it is heartening when we know that they are being looked after: after all, they are part of the fabric of our proud history. The Met in Bury is a great example and its recent multi-million-pound refurbishment means that we can all enjoy it for years to come.
But before we take a look at the refurbishment, it might be worthwhile to investigate just how the Met came to be in Bury in the first place. Well, it wasn’t always called the Met! It was originally known as The Derby Hall when it opened in 1850, because it was the 13th Earl of Derby who commissioned it. It has a link with the famous circular reading room at the British Museum, as the same architect Sydney Smirke, designed them both. It was known as The Public Rooms and when it opened, the great and the good of Bury braved the November weather in order to attend a prestigious concert. In fact, as anyone who was anyone wanted to be seen there, 600 people squeezed in; despite the fact that it was only meant to hold 500.
Read the rest of the article in the March 17 issue of the magazine.